Loyola University Chicago Digital Special Collections
Search using this query type:
Advanced Search (Items only)
Browse Items (14 total)
Browse by Tag
Collection: Hawthorn-Mellody Farms
Champion Bull at Hawthorn-Mellody Dairy Farms
Portrait of a champion bull at the Hawthorn-Mellody Dairy Farms.
Children at Hawthorn-Mellody Farms Petting Zoo
A group of children gather around Hawthorn-Mellody's Petting Zoo llama.
Photograph of the state of the art machinery that processes milk from dairy cows to finished product, ready to be delivered to homes across the North Shore.
Girl with Elephant
A young girl gives an elephant from the Hawthorn-Mellody Farm's Petting Zoo a drink from the water fountain.
Governor Stratton's Carriage
Governor and Mrs. Stratton ride in one of the Hawthorn-Mellody Farms' dairy carriages.
Hawthorn-Mellody Country Store
Boys interact with a turkey from the Hawthorn-Mellody Farm's Petting Zoo outside of the Country Store, an element of the western town attraction.
Hawthorn-Mellody Farms General Store
Exterior photograph of the general store at Hawthorn-Mellody Farms. Above the door reads "Club of Champs"--the advertising campaign using celebrity endorsements.
Hawthorn-Mellody Farms milk truck
A milkman from Hawthorn-Mellody Farms Dairy delivers milk to Highland Park residents.
In 1907, Samuel Insull purchased 132 acres of land called Hawthorn Farm and the farmhouse which occupied this space. Construction on a new house began in 1914, but the original structure stood for some time.
Milk Parlor Mosaic
Children view the mosaic depicting a field of cows in the Milk Parlor at Hawthorn-Mellody Farms.